Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Candle We Should Not Light

What the heck happened to my weekly blog? I have heard this from mulitple people, thank you Lisa, and I can offer no good explanation except for the fact that I am just another victim fallen to procrastination. So in light of that, and thus realizing that I am indeed a victim to this gay internal conflict, I am shoving this blog in its face. Amen. So now that I have cleared that up, let me tell you about an experience I had pertaining to human emotion and how short my and ultimately all our wicks are leading to the candle of anger.
  We must be slow to anger. Wow have I absolutely destroyed that commandment tonight. This tends to be a common struggle that I have noticed within myself as well as amongst most of humanity. This, however, does not apply to all, which gives me hope, and when I meet these other forms of human I find them to be a breath of fresh air as well as a personal kick to the ***. Heads are probably spinning as of now, but thats ok. Let me give an example that will help give aid to the problem that I am trying to bring to awareness.
Tonight I was spending some time with a couple of close friends, and it was magnificent. We began our evening by going to the mall, which by the way is not a good idea on a friday night due to the mass huddles of "really cool" kids who just..... huddle, followed up by a visit to Barnes and Noble to have a seat and enjoy some starbucks. Fantastic time, I love sitting at the bookstore cafe, the atmosphere is unmatched and when your with friends engaging in delightful conversation, who could ask for a better evening. This, unfortunately, would all soon come to a crashing end all because of the "short wick."
Across the cafe area from us was a man who plainly made me angry. Laptop on table, earbuds in ears, he was flailing around like a prancy time and practically singing out loud. What started as a funny scenario, went to an annoying one, which took a violent leap to me being outraged. Did my friends have any idea that I could not stop watching this man? That I could not help but wish I could go over there and toss his computer into the bushes in the parking lot. I don't think they knew the seriousness of the situation. Alas, my completely unnecessary attitude was recongnized and realized 20 minutes ago. Which is why I am writting this particular experience and this particular blog.
  Why do we humans get so easily angered? You may be thinking, oh I don't get angry easily speak for yourself. Well if you are thinking that I would say first of all I have spoken for myself and following that I would give you a quote I got from a bumper sticker. Your proctologist called, he found your head. We all get angry way too easily. Why do we become sailors when someone pulls out in front of us? Why do we get upheaved when our food takes too long to cook? Why do we turn red at the thought that we will miss our favorite tv show? Why? This really is a problem, and while attempting to solve a problem or while correcting a problem, it first must be recognized. Recognition is the initial key to overcoming any personal barrier or problem. Next must come a desire, and an action, to solve it and ultimately make a change for the better.
I did realize, 20 minutes ago, a lot longer than it shouldve have taken me to know, that i was definitely in the wrong for being angry at this man. He was simply enjoying life. In fact, I learned quite a lot from this man and I am truly grateful he was there doing his thing tonight. We were not created to be ticking time bombs. We were created to embrace each other, and life, in a joyous state. We so often forget this truth. Fight it, fight the short wick living. Throw out the candle completely. Be slow to anger and take a sip of that coffee with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment