Monday, September 8, 2008

Support The War? Support Jesus?

O what a subject to tackle. I'm not even sure I know how to start this conversation. 

I understand that we may all be sick of hearing about the War in Iraq, as it constantly floods our media and lives. Yet, I feel as though it is of great importance to deny the War, and stand against this illusion that has been created that states "it is for the greater good." I've heard the phrase "kill one, save a thousand" used in movies, and it all use to make sense. It all seemed logical and right to me. Yet as my whole view has changed regarding War, and violence, the question arises in my mind that states, "well then who is going to stand up for that one?" With that question bearing down on me I am loudly told that answer through scripture... Jesus would be at the defense of that "one."

How did this all come about? It has been thanks to the multiple car bumper stickers, Shane Claiborne's "Iraq Journal," and most influentially, Jesus, that my whole world view has changed when it comes to War and party affiliation. I use to be extremely right winged. It use to be, you could cut me with a knife and I would bleed out elephants. Yet when reevaluating the "party," I now realize Jesus isn't exactly the white middle class republican that he somehow seems to be portrayed as. (thank you Derek Webb) I have reason to believe that if Jesus were here today you possibly would be able to find Him chained to the front door of the white house saying, enough of this killing... love your enemies. 

"It's for the greater good." That's what we are told in order to justify the War. Yet, with the using of this common justification phrase, are we really that different from those members of the Al Qaeda? 

I commute to work everyday, and everyday I see multiple bumper stickers that state "God bless America," "Support our troops," and "Win the War! Victory in Iraq." I think it is time we remember the message of Jesus. Now am I bashing our troops? No, never. I have numerous friends who are members of the Service and I highly respect our troops as well as admire their bravery. But when we just step out of our normal view of things and imagine what those bumper stickers might look like through the lens of an Iraqi citizen who has been affected by this war, I'm starting to wonder if we really want to support these things. 

Do our children have any more of a right to live than those who are living in Iraq? In fact, do our children have any more of a right to live than those whose parents are devoted members of the Al Qaeda? Let me quickly, and I understand this is already becoming quite a long blog, tell you a common situation that occurs quite regularly in Iraq that just breaks my heart. We, the United States, have these bombs called Cluster Bombs that we drop in Iraq. A Cluster Bomb contains 202 deadly bombletts, if you will, each of which fracture into about 300 steel, body-piercing fragments. An absolutely horrible bomb.... it can cover about the size of a football field and anywhere between 10% and 20% will not detonate. These, that do not detonate, will litter the ground until activated by animals or people. It is common that children will mistake them for toys or food... which then results in activation. 

War is horrible, thus the War in Iraq is horrible. It's time we break away from this illusion that "It's for the greater good." Jesus does not call us to be supporters of the War, in fact He calls us to the exact opposite. We are to oppose the war, and support Love. I'm sick of this War, I'm sick of any War, and I will be sick of Wars. Jesus is sick of Wars. Let's all be together here, let's support Jesus in what He called us to do and let's think the way He told us to think. 

"To our most bitter opponents we say: Throw us in jail and we will still love you. Bomb our houses and threaten our children and we will still love you. Beat us and leave us half dead and we will still love you. But be ye assured that we will wear you down by our capacity to suffer. One day we shall so appeal to your heart and conscience that we shall win you in the process, and our victory will be a double victory." - Gandhi

Let us put our swords away. (Lk 22:51, Jn 18:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment