Friday, October 2, 2009

Worst Employee Of The Month

I was at Barnes and Noble yesterday in Pittsburgh with my brother-in-law, and as usual I had my lanyard around my neck. I'm one of the remaining few that will actually wear a lanyard with my keys on it right around the front of my body. Yes, I know I look like a camp counselor. In either case, we were looking for a book. As we were looking this lady popped up out of nowhere, came to me, and asked, "Could you please help me find this book when your'e done helping him?" Clearly she had made a mistake in thinking that I worked at the store. Lanyards scream employment. Anyway, I couldn't help but look at her and say, "sure." I'm not exactly sure why I wanted to play along with her false assumption, but something within me was telling me to. It took me all of but a minute to come to the realization that I had no idea where her author's books were located on the shelves. Or any other thing in the store for that matter. Probably because I didn't work there. Usually at this point in the situation, if someone even allows themselves to get in this kind of a situation, a normal person would confess to themselves and the other party involved that the gig is up and come clean. I, on the other hand, refused to give in and resorted to Plan B. Which of course was pretty spontaneous. Plan B involved me walking away from the lady without saying a word. I'm not really sure what was more awkward; Getting the look she gave as I walked away, or the soul piercing look she shot as our eyes locked from across the room around the multiple shelves. In either case, I did what anyone would do at that particular junction. I buried my face in my cell phone as if I was reading the most concerning news headline to date. All in all though it wasn't too bad. She didn't assault me or call me out. I tried avoiding her at all costs. I successfully did that and ended up leaving with a story and a plaque on the wall with my picture on it stating, worst employee of the month.

1 comment: